Senator Cornyn Announces Bipartisan Veterans Coalition, Launches Web Ad Highlighting Support of Veterans
More Than 1,000 Texas Veterans Endorse Cornyn for His Strong Support of Vets
October 20, 2008
In addition to the Veterans for Cornyn coalition, Senator Cornyn launched a new web ad featuring combat veteran Scott O'Grady and other veterans commending Senator Cornyn's record. To view the ad, visit: www.johncornyn.com/media. Senator Cornyn has also been endorsed by several organizations including Vets for Freedom, the National Vietnam & Gulf War Veterans Coalition, and VetsVision.
"As the son of a World War II veteran, supporting our men and women in uniform has always been my highest priority," Senator Cornyn said. "Our veterans have given so much for our security and freedom. We must make sure they have the support, care and benefits they need and deserve. I will continue doing everything possible for our veterans, troops and their families, and winning the war against terrorists."
Scott O'Grady, U.S. Air Force and Bosnia War Veteran: "I am a veteran supporting the re-election of Senator John Cornyn. Regardless of what you hear, I can tell you that John Cornyn is the strongest supporter of our veterans and our men and women who are serving in our military today."
Knox Nunnally, Vets for Freedom Texas State Captain and Iraq Veteran: "Senator Cornyn is and always has been a strong supporter of our armed forces. His steadfast and continued resolve has ensured that the soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines have everything they need to continue winning the fight in Iraq and the overall global war on terror. Senator Cornyn is a true friend of all veterans."
Major General Alfred "Freddy" Valenzuela, Veterans for McCain Texas Co-Chairman: "Senator Cornyn has worked to ensure that our veterans receive the health care access, services, and benefits they have earned and so rightly deserve. He has backed legislation to provide major funding increases for veterans' health care. This outpouring of veterans' support from across the state shows that Senator Cornyn is a true friend and we need him in the U.S. Senate."
Gil Rodriguez, U.S. Navy Veteran and Former Commander of Texas G.I. Forum: "As a member of the Armed Services Committee, Senator Cornyn has been a tireless supporter of Texas veterans. He helped reach a bipartisan agreement on expanding the G.I. Bill, led the effort to protect voting rights for U.S. service members overseas and worked to boost troops' benefits, health care and pay. He has stood with us, now I'm proud to stand with him."
Pharr Mayor Leopoldo "Polo" Palacios, Veteran: "Senator Cornyn has been a strong advocate for South Texas veterans. He helped lead the effort to bring a VA hospital to the Valley and increase our access to health care. We should also be proud that his first legislation enacted into law was to make it easier for non-citizens who protect our country to become Americans. Senator Cornyn is a leader we can count on who works across party lines for the good of Texas veterans."
Tarrant Boyd, VFW Life Member and U.S. Marine Corps Vietnam Veteran: "Senator Cornyn voted for a dramatic expansion of G.I. bill education benefits, which supports our military and protects retention. He understands the needs of all veterans, their families and our national defense. Senator Cornyn has been an exceptional ally for veterans and deserves our support."
--Below is what others are saying about Senator Cornyn's support for veterans, military personnel--
"I am a veteran supporting the re-election of Senator John Cornyn. Regardless of what you hear, I can tell you that John Cornyn is the strongest supporter of our veterans and our men and women who are serving in our military today."
(Scott O'Grady, Former F-16 Fighter Pilot shot down in the Bosnia War, Web Ad, Captured 10/16/08)
"Senator Cornyn recognizes and acknowledges the success of our current military strategy implemented by General Petraeus, and has been a steadfast source of support of all the men and women who are winning the global war on terror."
(Vets for Freedom Texas State Captain and veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Knox Nunnally, Press Release, 6/24/08)
"Ever since John Cornyn arrived in the United States Senate, he has been a dependable ally of mine on issues important to our active duty military, their families and our veterans. I can always count on John Cornyn as my partner when we try to do what is right for those who protect our freedoms. He is a solid, respected and dependable voice for our Texas values in Washington."
(U.S. Rep. Sam Johnson, U.S. Air Force Veteran and former Vietnam POW, Podcast, Accessed 10/16/08)
"America and Texas need strong leaders like Senator Cornyn. As a veteran, I know that he will ensure that all veterans are treated fairly and honorably, and receive the respect and care that they have so richly earned."
(Veteran and Pharr Mayor Leopoldo "Polo" Palacios, Press Release, 5/17/08)
Senator Cornyn "has been a strong advocate for veterans..."
(Veteran and Former Weslaco Mayor Hector Farias, Press Release, 5/17/08)
"I was in the Army and I know that he's great for vets."
(Willie Robison, U.S. Army Veteran, Web ad, Accessed 10/16/08)
"Senator Cornyn has always been a friend of the veteran."
(Eloy Heras, U.S. Navy Veteran, Web ad, Accessed 10/16/08)
"As a seventh generation Texan and Iraq War Veteran, I stand strongly behind Senator John Cornyn and commend him for his long record supporting veterans. Over the years Senator Cornyn has consistently been on the side of those who have served in the armed forces. In 2005, he pushed to maintain and strengthen most Texas installations during the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process. He passed legislation expanding housing and medical benefits for Texas veterans and wounded warriors and just this year he pushed for bipartisan legislation to expand the G.I. Bill's education benefits. I stand with Senator Cornyn because his record matches his rhetoric when it comes to veterans' issues."
(Van Taylor, North Texas Vice Captain, Vets for Freedom, Web blog, Accessed 10/16/08)
"During his short time in the Senate, Senator Cornyn has addressed issues ranging from concurrent receipt to VA health care funding. Recently, Senator Cornyn introduced the Veterans' Benefits Housing Enhancement Act."
(Veterans' Vision, Veterans' Vision Magazine Campaign 2008 Edition)
"Senator Cornyn has been a tireless advocate for veterans..."
(U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs James Peake, Press Release, 8/25/08)
"In his first term, Cornyn has repeatedly demonstrated an ability to reach across the aisle to work with key Democrats on issues such as enhanced housing benefits for military veterans, an accelerated citizenship process for noncitizens who serve in the military..."
(Fort Worth Star-Telegram, "Recommendation: Cornyn for U.S. Senate," 10/12/08)
"Congressional attention to the problem [of U.S. troops overseas not being able to vote] has been scattered and limited mostly to Republicans such as Senator John Cornyn."
(Robert Novak, Syndicated Column, "They fight but can't vote," 7/24/08)
-- Below are examples of Senator Cornyn's strong record supporting veterans and military--
- Supported every clean Veterans Appropriations Bill, which led to a greater than 60 percent increase in veterans health care funding and more than 60 percent in additional overall VA funding.
- Pushed for bipartisan legislation passed this year to expand G.I. Bill education benefits and allow their transferability to family members, strengthening military retention.
- Played a key role in ensuring the future of Texas military facilities during the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process, working with the Texas congressional delegation to maintain and strengthen most Texas installations.
- Led the fight to protect the right to vote for U.S. military personnel serving overseas. He has worked on several solutions, including legislative and administrative, to improve the process of delivering military absentee ballots and ensure every vote counts. His MVP Act to safeguard the voting rights of overseas troops unanimously passed the Senate in October.
- Worked to ensure that U.S. troops have the resources and political support to win the war against terrorism.
- Passed legislation expanding housing and medical benefits for Texas veterans and wounded warriors.
- Supported legislation to expand our military, reducing the burden on Texas troops and their families.
- Backed legislation to improve the quality of life of military personnel and veterans, including increasing pay and benefits.
- Consistently promoted legislation providing intelligence professionals and law enforcement the tools to track foreign terrorists.
- Enacted legislation expediting citizenship for immigrants who serve in our military.
Additional information on Senator Cornyn's work on behalf of veterans and military personnel:
Legislation To Provide Greater Educational Benefits To Troops And Veterans:
- Sen. Cornyn Voted For The G.I. Bill, Which Modernizes And Enhances The Montgomery G.I. Bill Program Once It Included Transferability, Which He Advocated, To Allow Service Members To Transfer Unused Education Benefits To Their Spouses And Children For The First Time. (H.R. 2642, CQ Vote #162: Motion Agreed To 92-6: R 42-6; D 48-0; I 2-0, 6/26/08, Cornyn Voted Yea)
- Sen. Cornyn Co-Sponsored The Montgomery GI Bill Educational Assistance Transferability Act. (Sen. John Cornyn, "Sen. Cornyn Backs Bill To Provide Greater Educational Opportunities To Military Families," Press Release, 1/30/08)
- Sen. Cornyn Co-Sponsored The Enhancement Of Recruitment, Retention, And Readjustment Through Education Act. (Sen. John Cornyn, "Cornyn Co-Sponsors Bill To Boost Education Benefits For Military, Veterans," Press Release, 4/30/08)
Legislation To Improve Housing Benefits For Troops And Veterans:
- Sen. Cornyn Introduced The Veterans' Housing Benefits Enhancement Act To Strengthen Assistance For Wounded Soldiers And Their Families. (Sen. John Cornyn, "Cornyn Introduces Bill To Strengthen Assistance For Wounded Soldiers & Their Families," Press Release, 4/12/07)
- Sen. Cornyn Voted For The Veterans' Benefits Enhancement Act. (Sen. John Cornyn, "Senate Overwhelmingly Approves Veterans Benefits Enhancement Act," Press Release, 4/24/08)
- Sen. Cornyn Supported The Heroes Earnings Assistance and Relief Tax Act. (Sen. John Cornyn, "Senate Passes Cornyn-Backed Bill To Increase Housing Options For Texas Veterans," Press Release, 5/22/08)
Legislation To Expand Health Care For Troops And Veterans:
- Sen. Cornyn Supported The Mental Health Care And Other Improvements Act. (Sen. John Cornyn, "Cornyn Praises Senate Passage Of Bill To Boost Mental Health Care & Outreach For U.S. Troops, Veterans," Press Release, 6/4/08)
- Sen. Cornyn Co-Sponsored The HONOR Warriors Act. (Sen. John Cornyn, "Cornyn Announces Support For Bill To Enhance Mental Health Care For Troops & Veterans," Press Release, 6/10/08)
- Sen. Cornyn Introduced The South Texas Veterans Access To Care Act. (Sen. John Cornyn, "Cornyn Introduces Bill To Provide Veterans Hospital Care In South Texas," Press Release, 7/20/07)
- Sen. Cornyn Supported The Veterans' Mental Health Outreach And Access Act. (Sen. John Cornyn, "Cornyn Praises Senate Passage Of Bill To Boost Mental Health Care & Outreach For U.S. Troops, Veterans," Press Release, 6/4/08)
- Sen. Cornyn Co-Sponsored And Voted For The Dignified Treatment Of Wounded Warriors Act. (H.R. 1585, CQ Vote #433: Adopted 90-3: R 48-0; D 41-2; I 1-1, 12/14/07, Cornyn Voted Yea)