A lifelong hunter and outdoorsman, Senator Cornyn has steadfastly fought to protect Texans’ right to keep and bear arms. Most recently he led the effort to guarantee the second amendment rights of conceal-carry permit holders, introducing a bill allowing Texans and all Americans to carry concealed weapons across state lines and inside other states with similar laws. Senator Cornyn filed a crucial brief with the Supreme Court on the side of gun rights in D.C. v. Heller, a historic case that affirmed Americans’ second amendment rights within the District of Columbia. He has been an outspoken opponent of the United Nations’ effort to regulate small arms with the proposed U.N. Arms Trade Treaty, and he actively opposed and voted against pro-gun control Justices Elena Kagan and Sonya Sotomayor to the Supreme Court.
Senator Cornyn’s tireless work on behalf of Texas gun owners and sportsmen has earned him an A+ and an endorsement from the National Rifle Association, and the support of the Texas State Rifle Association.
- Supports Right-to-Carry | Authored and voted for the “Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act” to ensure that law-abiding Americans are able to carry a concealed firearm in any other state that does not prohibit concealed carry. He also voted for a similar amendment in 2009.
- Opposes “Universal” Background Checks | Opposed the Obama/Bloomberg so-called “universal” background check system, a system that would criminalize the transfer of firearms between many honest, law-abiding gun owners.
- Opposes Semi-auto Ban | Opposed Senator Dianne Feinstein’s failed semi-auto ban, designed to ban commonly owned semi-automatic firearms used for hunting, recreational shooting and self-defense.
- Opposes Magazine Ban | Opposed a ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
- Supports Veterans’ Second Amendment Rights | Voted for an amendment that protects veterans’ Second Amendment rights.
- Opposes U.N. Gun Ban Treaty | Signed multiple letters, voted for an amendment, and cosponsored a resolution opposing any international treaty by the United Nations or other global organization that would impose restrictions on American gun owners.
- Opposes Anti-Gun Supreme Court Justices | Voted against Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan for the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Supports Gun Manufacturers and Dealers | Cosponsored and voted for “The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act,” to prevent America’s firearms manufacturers from being sued into bankruptcy through bogus lawsuits.
- Supports Right-to-Carry on Federal Lands | Voted to allow concealed carry permit holders to carry and transport firearms for self-defense in national parks and wildlife refuges as well as on lands managed by the Army Corps of Engineers.
- Heller Case | Signed the pro-gun congressional “friend of the court” brief in the landmark Heller case, arguing that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to Keep and Bear Arms and that Washington, D.C.’s gun ban was unconstitutional.
- McDonald Case | Signed the pro-gun congressional “friend of the court” brief in the landmark McDonald case, arguing that the Second Amendment guarantees the fundamental, individual right of all Americans to Keep and Bear Arms and that Chicago’s gun ban was unconstitutional.
- Opposes Washington D.C.’s Gun Ban | Voted for an amendment to repeal the D.C. gun ban/registration statute and restore the right of self-defense to law-abiding residents of our nation’s capital.
- Opposes Gun Confiscation | Cosponsored and voted for “The Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act,” to prohibit gun confiscation during states of emergency as happened after Hurricane Katrina.
- Supports Expansion of Safe Travel of Firearms on Amtrak | Voted to allow Amtrak passengers to safely transport firearms and ammunitions in their checked baggage.
- Opposes a Ban on Hunting Ammunition |Voted against a bill that would ban common hunting ammunition.
- Supports Gun Shows | Voted against a bill that would have effectively eliminated gun shows.